Friday, June 21, 2013

a rollercoaster..

  and what a ride it has been. full speed. with numerous ups and downs along the way.
 
   each day this week I have come home from camp with so many stories, so much less energy than I started the day with, and many new lessons learned. i would be lying if I said this week was easy.  i love my girls, Samara and K'yanna but they don't make my job easy.
 
   K'yanna/KK is very outspoken, you will often hear her ranting. one of her famous lines is, "i'm gonna pop you on the head." the first two days of camp I was busy taking care of Samara's needs that I didn't spend as much time with K'yanna. by the third day I could tell that was bothering her. so we had a talk and it ended with a hug and her saying, "your my favorite staff." she comes across with an attitude at times and will often ask me to not touch her or her things. so i have learned to only show her affection when she either asks for it or she gives it to me first. while she may come across at first as very confident and almost obnoxious at times but throughout the week i saw glimpses of a softer and more sensitive side. i look forward to continuing to build a friendship with her as the weeks go on.
 
   Samara/Mar Mar is less outspoken. small for her age, but sometimes you would be surprised with how loud she could be. the first day her and her best friend Skyla shared with the class their best friend rap: "skyla and samara this is all we be about, your papa's so fat i got cheese on my Minnie mouse" now don't ask me what that means but they sure do love it. one of my favorite memories with Mar Mar was both on Monday and Tuesday during Bible story time she decided to fart on me. Monday's were small and not so loud but then Tuesday came around and let me tell ya it was explosive. both times she was rolling on the floor laughing and so was i. from then on i knew she was comfortable with me. i also learned that to get attention Samara likes to pout. it was a struggle for me to know how much attention i should give her. i say all this, and at the same time i still love Samara. even though she gives me trouble i still love her. unconditional love, that is what the camp is all about.
 
  now even though those are the girls i have been asked to closely mentor i have also started to build friendships with the other fourth graders. Imani, quiet personality, cute outfits, and beautiful smiles. Lillian, soft voice, always doing the right thing, is a helper. Fara, smart, likes to say "hi", and she enjoys camp. Savannah, quite a handful, tells it like it is, likes to be the one in charge. Skyla, loves hugs, very outspoken, loves to laugh. And Corian, the only boy in a class of 7 girls, lady's man, loves hugs, responds better to female staff. its been such a joy getting to know all of them.
 
first impressions are always interesting. i look forward to learning more about and from the kids as the summer goes on.
 
each night i have made it my duty to no matter how hard the day was to write down in my journal a list of things i was grateful for from that day. i have found it to be a good way of ending the day well no matter how it might have gone. its good for me to reflect and to be grateful. because there is always something to be grateful for.
 
thank you so much for your continued support and prayers. even though the hardest part may be over i still have a lot to learn and a lot more days ahead. while i really look forward to them, i know they will not all be easy.
 
take care.
 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Em for your honest reflections. You do a nice job of describing for us what your experience is like. May you continue to be sensitive and strong as you share Jesus' love for each one! You are making a difference.

Evan said...

I love this! Keep posting stuff, girl.