Friday, June 14, 2013

prepared, inspired, and anxious..

on Monday of this week I woke up at around 6:30AM. the first thing I did was open my Jesus Calling devotional book to June 10th. and this is what was written...

"Rest in Me, My child. Give your mind a break from planning and trying to anticipate what will happen. Pray continually, asking My Spirit to take charge of the details of this day. Remember that you are on a journey with Me. When you try to peer into the future and plan for every possibility, you ignore your constant Companion who sustains you moment by moment. As you gaze anxiously into the distance, you don't even feel the strong grip of My hand holding yours. How foolish you are, My child! Remembrance of Me is a daily discipline. Never lose sight of My Presence with you. This will keep you resting in Me all day, everyday."

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him." -Psalm 62:5
 
   before reading this on Monday morning I had overwhelmed myself with worry, fear, and nervousness. all the new that I was about to encounter was causing me to ignore my constant Companion. I was gazing anxiously into the distance, not remembering the strong grip of God's hand holding mine. when I read this I immediately felt at peace. one of the most bizarre feelings ever. although I did go into the day at peace, taking all that "new" in was very exhausting.
 
   I carpooled with 3 other teens to Belden Elementary School in Canton, Ohio where I would be spending the majority of my summer working. This past week each day we focused on how to be best prepared for when the kids would arrive. each morning we watched a TED talk. these talks sparked good discussion as we answered questions like: what is this telling us about who we are as humans? how is the speaker challenging us as educators? what steps can we take to create a positive atmosphere for our students?
 
   another form of training we went through in the afternoon was called MANDT training. the MANDT system teaches that all people are important. at the most basic level, relationships are formed to satisfy human needs for human safety and security and needed for people to grow and develop. building positive healthy relationships is the ultimate goal of their training system. Darin Nissley, one of the directors, led this part of the training. I was very impressed and encouraged hearing his words and wisdom. some of the key things he said during this time were:
-Jesus died for them (kids) as much as He died for me.
-This camp is about power under. We are not here to stand on top of these kids and share our power that way, but we are to about power under. Helping these kids to be empowered.
-All this camp cares about is the heart.
 
   so Monday went and came, and the rest of the week went smoothly. I learned to get to know the rest of my team. many smiles were shared as we talked about how excited we all were to meet the kids. towards the end of the week we found out the names of the kids we each would be individually mentoring throughout the summer. I found out that I have two girls. Samara and Kyanna. I look forward to building a relationship with them both. I feel as though I am as ready to learn from my mistakes and grow as I invest in both of them. i believe this week was really beneficial. i learned a lot. i feel as though i am prepared. and although I am very excited to meet the kids, I also find myself a little anxious about the unknown. then I am reminded of this verse.
 
 "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him." -Psalm 62:5
 
i hope to keep you updated on how next week goes for me. thanks for your prayers and your support. i appreciate it so very much!
take care.
 
 

No comments: